I started processing the broilers this week. I did 2 yesterday. I would have done more but the plucker wasn’t working and doing them by hand was just taking too long! (Not as clean a job, either) It took me an hour to do the two. So hubby fixed the little electric motor on the plucker for me last night and I did 5 more birds this morning. I’m doing a few at a time for two reasons: first, I can only fit so many in my fridge for them to age before I freeze them and second, my back can’t take doing anymore! 😆 I’ll have to get some help next time. This is going to keep me busy for the next week and a half. I’m VERY pleased with how they have turned out. I can’t wait to taste one. I’m making soup with the giblets. Does anyone know how to clean a gizzard? I never learned how to do it properly. Tomorrow, I think I’ll cook one of the ones I did yesterday. They are 81/2 weeks old and average 41/2 lbs.
I didn’t want to gross anyone out, but thought I’d share a picture of our homemade plucker. We didn’t make it but someone did. I actually can’t remember where we got it. Hubby would know. Through my dad, I think. Gotta love those labor-saving, time-saving devices. It would be even better if it had some kind of hood to catch the feathers. That would save me when it’s time to clean up. The other picture, my son snapped. He actually startled me when he took it. 😆
There’s something very satisfying about raising your own food from start to finish. Well, there is for me. 🙂