2 eggs, separated
1 Tbsp. butter or coconut oil
For mushroom sauce:
1 Tbsp. butter
generous 1 cup mushrooms, thinly sliced
1 Tbsp. whole wheat flour
1/2 cup milk
1 tsp. chopped fresh parsley (optional)
sea salt and ground black pepper
1. To make the mushroom sauce, melt the butter in a saucepan or frying pan and add the sliced mushrooms. Fry gently for 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until tender.
2. Stir in flour, then gradually add the milk, stirring all the time. Cook until boiling and thickened. Add the parsley if using and season with salt and pepper. Keep warm.
3. Beat the egg yolks with 1 Tbsp. water and season with a little salt and pepper. Whisk the egg whites until stiff, then fold into the egg yolks using a metal spoon. Preheat the grill.
4. Melt the butter or coconut oil in a large frying pan and pour the egg mixture into the pan. Cook over a gentle heat for 2-4 minutes. Place the frying pan under the grill and cook for a further 3-4 minutes until the top is golden brown.
5. Slide the omelette on to a warmed serving plate, pour the mushroom sauce over the top and fold the omelette in half. Serve, garnished with parsley, if desired.